From Afghanistan to France in a Novel And the Mountains Echoed

Khaled Hosseini, the author of The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, has written a new novel about how we love, how we take care of one another, and how the choices we make resonate through generations. In this tale revolving around not just parents and children but brothers and sisters, cousins and caretakers, Hosseini explores the many ways in which families nurture, wound, betray, honor, and sacrifice for one another; and how often we are surprised by the actions of those closest to us, at the times that matter most.
Following its characters and the ramifications of their lives and choices and loves around the globe—from Kabul in Afghanistan to Paris in France to San Francisco to the Greek island of Tinos—the story expands gradually outward, becoming more emotionally complex and powerful with each turning page.

This literary fiction is absolutely engrossing. It paints vividly the spiritual nature of family relationships that affect our lives from our birth to our death. It illustrates how we all crave and need love, connection, acceptance and approval to feel secure and complete.

When download or buy this And the Mountains Echoed it started with such promise with the first story about a brother and sister who are separated through tragic circumstance. However, the more I read the less connection I had to the multiple characters. I beleive there were entire sections of this book that could have been omitted thar would have helped it flow much better. Specifically the section where the bad guys builds the enormous house in the small town of their youth. I am sure that it has some political significance, but it did not seem to really fit.

Overall, it was a book with great promise that fell short due to way too many characters through too many decades. It jumped all over the place. I had to flip back several times just to figure out who he was talking about. Maybe, I just had too high of expectations, but it was a disappointment to me from someone who wrote one of the most compelling books I have ever read, The Kite Runner.

As I journeyed through the novel, I found myself compelled and inspired to change. To change my non-committal nature, to stick with my promises, to reach out to the people in my life, to care, to hope, to fight for things I believe in. I am inspired to write! To live well. To love well. To make an impact. To explore. Hosseini connects with me so well that I feel like we have met. He is a personable author, and if it is possible to know the character of a man based on his writing, I would say he is a kind and caring soul who values truth, compassion and integrity.

It would be hazardously incorrect to say that my relationship with Jess is based around our shared love for Hosseini's writing. There is so much that we love about each other. Life is so rich when we are together and we want to experience the world. No, our love for each other is not based off of his books, but he did make an impact. And that is what this story is about, the impact that we have on the lives of others; the resonating echoes. In ATME, Hosseini urges his readers to confront the reality that, for good or evil, our actions affect the lives that surround us.

"And The Mountains Echoed" is the type of book that I very much see being added to - and pushed to the forefront of - required reading lists for high schools nationwide in that the enormity of its themes and its observations on the sociopolitical climate in Afghanistan are of significant value in the realm of contemporary literature. It is destined to become a new classic.